1.Why do many students suffer from Maths phobia?
That’s because Maths is so perfect. 2+2 has to be 4 and not 5 or 6. That’s what scares the students. In other subjects like English you don’t have to be so perfect.
The second reason for it is lack of good teachers. Teachers through constant corporal punishments and memory based learning scare of the child from a junior class itself. Later on this very fear becomes a phobia which leads to the student dropping Mathematics in Higher classes.Also there are lot of mis-understood words in Maths which are not properly defined and thus creates a fear. Words like say Quadratics, Simultaneous, Algebra etc there meanings are not clear and hence leads to Math Phobia.
2. What is meant by Vedic Maths? Is it basically a form of mental calculation which is supposed to speed up some arithmetic calculations? Is it true that Vedic Maths decreases the fact load of the subject (eg: one can learn tables till 9 only if he’s well-versed in Vedic Maths instead)?
Vedic Mathematics has been founded by Jagadguru Swami Bharti Krishna Teerthaji Maharaja who was the Sankaracharya of Puri. He in his book ‘Vedic Mathematics’ claims that the formulae have been derived from the Parisista of the Atharva Veda which is the Branch of Veda dealing with Engineering and Mathematics. And Hence the term “Vedic” for the subject.
Vedic Mathematics equips us with mental one-line formulae which speeds up calculation by more than 10-15 times. It is a much more systematic, coherent and unified system than the conventional mathematical system. It is a mental tool for calculation that encourages the development and use of intuition and innovation, while giving the student a lot of flexibility, fun and satisfaction.
One can learn Vedic Mathematics from an early age and basic knowledge of multiplication table (though not compulsory) helps a student to better grasp the subject. The time which the student spends in calculation is greatly reduced and therefore the load and pressure of the subject comes down significantly. Through this a supposedly difficult calculation like 998 x 997 which normally takes a person anywhere between a minute or two to solve can be solved in less than five seconds flat.
3. Some critics feel that ‘arithmetic as is speeded up by application of the sutras can be performed on a computer or calculator anyway, making their knowledge rather irrelevant in the modern world’. What do you have to say to that? Do you think high school students should be allowed to use calculators?
If that be the case why have Mathematics classes in schools. There should be no classes on Mathematics and also the load on the student will be decreased. The student should only be equipped with the calculator and all of math’s problems could be solved on that.
According to a study conducted some years ago by a university in the United States , the constant use of calculators for more than twenty years by person atrophies his brain significantly. We have all met shopkeepers who use calculators to determine what 10+5 is. Don’t you find it silly?
Our Brain is a muscle. Just like the body needs exercise the brain needs it too. Through Vedic mathematics you use both the parts of your brain- the left and the right hence keeping you mentally agile even in your old age when the brain functions less.
Moreover I would like to add that some calculators are even prone to errors. Try this on your calculator 2+3 x 4 and get an answer. If your calculator shows 20 and not 14 your answer is incorrect. J Any Guesses Why?
4. How does Vedic Maths help to improve concentration?
When you use Vedic Maths you use both your left and the right brain hemisphere. The left side of the brain is the seat of language and processes in a logical and sequential order. The right side is more visual and processes intuitively, holistically, and randomly which boosts memory and concentration.
Since you are doing calculations mentally without the use of pen or paper you are actually concentrating which develops the concentration abilities.
5. Please give a few examples of the use of Vedic Maths in mathematical operations? Can Vedic Maths benefit both school students and those in the university? Also how is the knowledge of Vedic Maths beneficial to students of competitive exams (it’s said that it makes it possible for a student to know the answer without actually solving the problem)? I heard that it’s also very helpful to professionals like software developers? Who else can benefit by Vedic Maths?
I have attached a brochure for an example on Vedic Mathematical operation.
Students, Competitive exam aspirants, Engineers, Professionals, Teachers, Executives, Parents and even Businessmen can benefit from Vedic Mathematics.
It can simultaneously benefit students studying in class 3 to those preparing for their post graduate studies in the university. And to top it up they can sit together and learn it. This is so because simple sutras (word formulas) of Vedic Maths are unknown to both and since it is simple both of them with a big age difference can grasp it together.
Vedic Maths is helpful to software developers as it helps them to do their coding and programming as it is more scientific than the normal system of mathematics.
6. I heard that Vedic Maths concepts are used by NASA scientists too. May it please be possible for you to give me more info on that?
A shloka in Vedic Maths helps to work out the value of pi by 10 to the 32nd place. It is this kind of accuracy which makes it specially useful in the field of space technology and artificial intelligence. In fact, it is used at NASA, American Space Research Centre, by Dr Rick Briggs, a computer scientist who heads the Vedic Maths cell.
They are being used in the area of Micro processing also. Software companies like IBM, Microsoft have made it compulsory for their specialized staff to learn this system.
7. Can Vedic Maths be used to facilitate the students of higher classes to remember complicated Maths formulae?
Yes. Concepts such as Quadratic Equations, Simultaneous Equations, Trigonometry, Even Calculus has been made simple and easier in Vedic Mathematics.
8. How does knowledge in Vedic Math help a student to minimize careless mistakes?
In Vedic Mathematics, the mental one-line formulas are such that it has an inbuilt system of series of checks. The student can’t go wrong. Failure is not an option in Vedic Mathematics. Hence Vedic Mathematics helps to boost the confidence of the student as success leads to success and this brings out the true potential of the student .
9. From which class can the basics of Vedic Maths be taught?
The basics of Vedic Mathematics can be taught from Standard 3 ( 7 years) onwards.
For little higher concepts on Vedic Maths we recommend students to be from Standard VIII (14 years) onwards where a whole range of systems can be taught.
10. Are there educational tools / props / games available exemplifying the use of Vedic Maths?
There are lot of books for all age groups and DVDs available to a student to learn the system.
11. How can Vedic Math be made popular? If a student wants to learn Vedic Maths which institutes can he contact?
Vedic Mathematics is being mde popular by workshops and by providing part-time courses in association with different institutions. Also books, websites and the interest from the student community have helped to make it more popular.
If a student wants to learn High Speed Vedic Mathematics he can contact:-
The Vedic Maths Forum ( India )
167/N Rash Behari Avenue,
Jasoda Bhawan , 2 nd Floor
Kolkata- 700 019
West Bengal ( India )
The Vedic Maths Forum ( India ) conducts workshops across the country. They promote the concepts of High Speed Vedic Mathematics and are taking it to the next generation. They are the only platform which offer a complete certified course and a ten hour dvd on the subject. So far over seven thousand students across India have been trained in the 6-day Workshops which they conduct and thousands continue to be trained every day.